It is currently 6 December 2022, 20:10 Advanced search

Odd Question?

Questions and answers on how to best use Instant Developer

Odd Question?

Postby john w » 6 June 2022, 13:38

Is it possible to build a data business object in InDe that can be used to hold data from an IMDB or a form; then access that data Business Object from outside of Instant Developer?

I use table orientation in my apps.

I need to pass IMDB data to a third part tool for graphs/charts.
Regards

John W
john w

Re: Odd Question?

Postby ljwilson » 6 June 2022, 20:01

That is odd :-)

I think I would put the imdb data into a db table which is populated on the fly and then let the 3rd party tool read the db table.

Another way might be to expose the imdb data through a web api if the 3rd party can read the data using REST.

...jack
ljwilson

Postby smuser » 17 June 2022, 7:22

I'm not sure I've fully understand your problem but in my opinion the answer is: yes, it is.

You can create a "document", i.e. a class that extends IDDocument, a then create a panel that rely on it.

In some procedure or event of the form you can set the document of the panel with Panel.setDocument(doc, true) where the second argument specifies that it is the master of the panel (each action on the panel is bound to that document).

Because the class extends IDDocument you can serialize the object in xml or json and pass it to an external component (I suggest this way to avoid any dependencies between the INDE application and the third party module).

Hope this can help.
smuser

Postby john w » 17 June 2022, 16:20

smuser:

Your response confirmed some ideas I had been considering and gave me a path to follow. My imdb tables hold the results of calculations not data from a db. So I wanted to get those results to a a third party reporting tool.

Creating a document collection is probably a good first step. The real challenge will be getting the data from the collection (connecting) to it.

Thanks for post, it does give hope for a better solution than I have at the moment!
Regards

John W
john w

Postby smuser » 20 June 2022, 15:19

You're welcome. If you want to share more about your problem I'll be glad to help you.
smuser

Postby john w » 21 June 2022, 14:36

smuser - thanks for the offer. I will try to layout a better description of the issue, it may take me a day or two given the schedule. If I (we) could make it work, there may be broader applications.
Regards

John W
john w

Postby smuser » 21 June 2022, 16:17

Good! When you're ready we can take a look at it together
smuser

Return to Tips & Tricks