It is currently 28 February 2021, 4:19 Advanced search

Teamworks unable to connect to SQL server

Questions and answers on how to best use Instant Developer

Teamworks unable to connect to SQL server

Postby jpm@datamove.cloud » 4 October 2020, 11:31

I get an error 18456 Login failed for user ''. when I try to connect to teamworks.

I have set SQL security to mixed mode, and can login as sa through SQL Server Mgmt Studio, so not a security problem. One suggested fix is to change the connection string, but no idea how to do that for Teamworks (see below) - any ideas greatfully received.

The error reason An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only. can be returned in the following situations.

When the server is configured for mixed mode authentication, and an ODBC connection uses the TCP protocol, and the connection does not explicitly specify that the connection should use a trusted connection.

When the server is configured for mixed mode authentication, and an ODBC connection uses named pipes, and the credentials the client used to open the named pipe are used to automatically impersonate the user, and the connection does not explicitly specify that the connection should use a trusted connection.

To resolve this issue, include TRUSTED_CONNECTION = TRUE in the connection string.
jpm@datamove.cloud

Re: Teamworks unable to connect to SQL server

Postby ljwilson » 6 October 2020, 12:08

Thoughts:

1. Have you gone through the SQL Server Configuration Manager? Enable TCP/IP, and set Listen All to Yes. And I do it for all the Client Protocol options on the left, just to be safe. After those changes you must restart SQL Server Service.
  2. If the server is not on the same machine that TeamWorks is running on, make sure in the firewall you have port 1433 open.

2020-10-06_7-53-14.png
2020-10-06_7-53-14.png (54.58 KiB) Viewed 205 times

2020-10-06_7-53-53.png
2020-10-06_7-53-53.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 205 times

...jack
ljwilson

Return to Tips & Tricks